I am a higher education leader focused on ensuring high quality learning programs and institutional vitality. I have deep knowledge and 20+ years of impact, centered primarily on leadership for academic and co-curricular programming, with an emphasis on innovative, high impact curricular development, student learning, assessment and evaluation, faculty development, student support and engagement, and quality assurance and accreditation. My expertise has been developed across a variety of organizations and institutions primarily serving post-traditional learners (working adults, first-generation, and new-majority students) with a focus on experiential and community-based learning; employability development; prior learning assessment and competency-based models; and institutional innovation, improvement, effectiveness, and quality.
HIGHER ED WORK EXPERIENCE
- Associate Vice President (Interim) / Strategic Initiatives & Accreditation Liaison Officer – Dominican University of California (2019-2020)
- Founding Executive Director – The Quality Assurance Commons for Higher & Postsecondary Education / National Center for Higher Education Management Systems (NCHEMS) (2016-2018)
- Vice President for Educational Programming – WASC Senior College & University Commission (WSCUC) (2013-2016)
- Special Assistant to the President – Special Projects / Grant-Funded Programs – WASC Senior College & University Commission (WSCUC) (2013)
- Dean of Learning & Assessment – Marylhurst University (2009-2013)
- Director / Faculty, Center for Experiential Learning & Assessment (CELA); Prior Learning Assessment -Marylhurst University (2005-2013)
- Director, Learning Resource Program Saint Mary’s College of California, School of Extended Education (2001-2005)
- Manager, Education & Professional Development Department – SCORE! Education Corporation (2000-2001)
- Faculty Development Coordinator, Education Department – Heald Colleges’ Central Administrative Office (1997-2000)
- Faculty: Developmental and College English – Grays Harbor Community College (1995-1997)
SELECT PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & PROJECTS
- American Council on Education (ACE) – External partner on the development of an evaluation of employer-based learning programs. Houston, TX. (2017).
- Connecting Credentials – Co-Leader of national task group on quality credentialing (2017), resulting in the report Building Trust in Credentials.
- American Council on Education (ACE) – Stackable Credentials Framework Task Group (2015), resulting in the report Quality Dimensions for Connected Credentials.
- Association of General and Liberal Studies (AGLS) – Award for the Improvement of General Education Selection Committee. (2015)
- Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) – Student Learning Outcomes Institutional Award Selection Committee. (2014)
- Adult Higher Education Alliance (AHEA) – Board of Directors (past board member 2008 – 2010)
- Heutagogy Community of Practice – co-founder/co-curator
- Peer reviewer: The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning
- Ready for Life, Ready for Work: Transformative Learning for Personal and Professional Development. WSCUC Educational Workshop co-facilitated with Dr. Jeff King from University of Central Oklahoma. November 2019.
- Institutional Effectiveness and Mission Fulfillment for Student Achievement. NWCCU Mission Fulfillment Fellowship Guest Faculty. June 2019.
- Quality Never Goes Out of Style. NCHEMS 50thAnniversary Celebration Special Webinar with Peter Ewell and George Kuh. May 2019.
- A 21stCentury Learning Paradigm: Transformative Learning, Personal and Professional Development, and Employability. 2019 WSCUC Academic Resource Conference. Pre-Conference Workshop co-facilitated with Dr. Jeff King from University of Central Oklahoma. March 2019.
- Stations to Student Success: Navigating New Routes in Higher Education. 2019 AAC&U Annual Meeting. Featured Panelist With Paul Gaston, Natasha Jankowski, and Amber Garrison Duncan. January 2019.
- The QA Commons’ Conference Presentations: CAEL (2017), NASH / AASCU (2018), Transformative Learning Conference (2018), Distance Education Accrediting Commission (2018), WSCUC ARC (2018); AASCU Academic Affairs (2018); SHEEO Conference (2017), Assessment Institute (2017, 2018).
- WSCUC Presentations – Institutional workshops, educational seminars, national and regional events, and annual conference sessions. 2013-2016.
SELECT MEDIA & PUBLICATIONS
Media Outreach for the Essential Employability Qualities Initiative:
- Assuring Students Are Prepared for Work and Careers. Career Education Review. September 9, 2018.
- The EEQ CERT: A New Way to Assure and Communicate Program Quality, Relevance, & Value. National Institute of Learning Outcomes Assessment Viewpoint. April 11, 2018.
- The Essential Employability Qualities Certification: Assuring Graduates are Prepared for a 21stCentury Workforce. The Evolllution.April 3, 2018.
- Bridging the Gap: Creating a New Approach for Assuring 21st Century Employability Skills. Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning. Volume 49, 2017 – Issue 6.
- Booth, M. Blashke, L. and Hase, S. (2016). Practicing the Practice: The Heutagogy Community of Practice. Communities of Practice – Facilitating Social Learning in Higher Education (Vol. 2). Jacquelin McDonald & Aileen Cater-Steel, Eds. Springer in the Higher Education Dynamics Series.
- Booth, M. (2014). Assessment as an Ongoing Act of Learning: A Heutagogical Approach. Experiences in Self-Determined Learning. Blashke, L., Kenyon, C., and Hase, S. Eds. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- Allen, M., Driscoll, A., and Booth, M. (November-December 2013). The Impact of the First Three Years of the WASC Assessment Leadership Academy.Assessment Update (25)6.
- Booth, M. (October 2012). Boundaries and student self-disclosure in authentic, integrated learning activities and assignments. New Directions in Teaching and Learning Number 131. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Booth, M. and Harriet L. Schwartz (October 2012). We’re all adults here: Clarifying and maintaining boundaries with adult learners. New Directions in Teaching and Learning Number 131. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
In addition to being a Vice President, I have the following WASC Senior College & University Commission (WSCUC) Experience:
- Upcoming Fall 2020 – Assistant Chair: Comprehensive Visit Review Team. Loma Linda University
- Fall 2019 – Assistant Chair: Comprehensive Visit Review Team. CSU Bakersfield
- Fall 2018 – Assistant Chair: Seeking Accreditation Review Team. Universidad Europa de Madrid
- 2013 – Assistant Chair: Comprehensive Visit Review Team. Chapman University
- 2012 – Assistant Chair: Special Visit Team. Brigham Young University, Hawaii
Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities (NWCCU) Experience:
- 2012 – Evaluation Team Member, Year Three Visit: Gonzaga University
- 2011 – Evaluation Team Panel, Year One Reports: Salish Kootenai College, Whitman College, Whitworth University, Saint Martin’s University, Walla Walla University
- 2006 – 2013 – Institutional liaison with NWCCU: Marylhurst University
Specialized Accreditation Support (multiple specialized accreditors; various forms of support provided to programs).
- Ed.D. – Educational Leadership & Change – Higher Educational Systems. Fielding Graduate University, Santa Barbara, CA: July 2007
- M.A. – English– Rhetoric & Writing Studies. San Diego State University, San Diego, CA: May 1995
- B.A. – English. Emphasis: English Teacher Preparation / Minor: Speech and Language Pathology. Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA: May 1992 with Honors
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics/English as a Second Language. San Diego State University, San Diego, CA: 1995
- Graduate Certificate in Online Teaching & Learning. California State University East Bay, Hayward, CA: 2000
- WASC Senior College & University Commission Assessment Leadership Academy Alameda, CA: 2011-2012